Sunday, February 15, 2009

Random House Internship




January 20, 2009

Random House, Inc.
On-line resume submission

RE: Intern – Books on Tape Division

To Whom It May Concern:

I am applying for the position of Publishing Intern in your Books on Tape division in Costa Mesa, California. Attached is my online resume. I am confident that you will find my combination of skills and experience, in addition to my love of all types of literature, a perfect addition to the Random House family.

I offer Random House my twenty-five years of extensive experience in a variety of public and private-sector office environments. This experience has given me a wealth of knowledge and skills in addition to a strong work ethic and desire to learn. After several years of successfully attending night classes while working full-time for Clatsop County, I am currently enrolled as a full-time student. I am pursuing my passion for writing and publishing while earning the degree that can advance my career from the administrative level to the professional. An internship at Random House would be an ideal foundation to this new career path in publishing.

As a student I have worked on The Bandit, the college newspaper, conducting interviews and writing articles. I have also performed various functions in connection to the content selection, editing and publication of the college’s annual literary journal, RAIN Magazine. I became familiar with Adobe InDesign software while working on both of these publications.

I have provided the highest quality administrative support to offices ranging is size from 4 to 20 professionals, including communicating with clients and staff verbally as wells as in written correspondence. In my job at Clatsop County I have been responsible for accurate payroll data input for 300 individuals for the past six years. I have been an avid reader all of my life and have been listening to books on tape for many years. In addition to my skills, I will also bring a number of other key qualities to Random House. I am adept at adapting to a variety of situations and personalities effectively in order to provide quality services and products. My computer experience has taught me the art of troubleshooting, which can be applied to all manner of business and personal situations. My supervisory experience has taught me that being part of a team, no matter what your position, is essential to create a successful end product. My payroll experience has taught me the value of customer service and that the tiniest detail matters to someone. My overall experience has cultivated the ability to manage projects of varying size, deadline and difficulty.

While I may appear to be overqualified for this position, I assure you that it is something I want so that I may learn the publishing business in a hands-on environment from the world’s largest English-language general trade book publisher. I look forward to meeting with you in person to further discuss this opportunity.

Sincerely,
A. Cristine Shade

No comments:

Post a Comment