Sunday, January 25, 2009

Brewing up Dollar Signs By Krista

An Italian business owner named Luigi Bezzera in 1903 made the first espresso.  The Italian term "espresso" translates to "fast" in English.  Bezzera wanted to introduce coffee that brewed faster and tasted better.  Now more than a hundred years later a large portion of the population fits a trip or multiple trips to the coffee shop in one day.  Hard earned money goes further when consumers focus more on their needs rather than their wants; the materialism, and feelings of requirement when focusing on coffee shop coffee has overpowered far too many.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I don't agree with the large growing industry of over-priced coffee drinks.  Purchasing coffee shop joe seems to be draining wallets more than ever.  The prices are simply always on the rise.  The charges are hardly noticeable so nothing seems so dramatic until you take the time to analyze the situation.  For example say you favorite drink is a 10 oz sugar free French vanilla latte with soy, extra hot and no foam.  The price was $3.45 and now it is $4.45.  Suddenly you are paying an extra dollar for the same drink.  You continue to  buy that drink once a day for a typical five day workweek.  Suddenly the cost increases adds up t o$25 a month, and $300 a year.  After a five-year period you have spend over $1,000 on numerous cups of coffee you enjoy for approximately twenty minutes.  Unfortunately the price listed above is not reflected with a tip, most coffee goers tip once dollar per cup, I'll let you do the math. 

Recent studies have shown many coffee goers feel that having a latte or a mocha in their hand serves as a sense of security for the person.  somehow the person doesn't feel complete without holding that non-recyclable cup to be polluted into the environment for thousands of years.  Also it seems espresso drinks are a prim problem from the materialistic point of view.  I work at an 8-5 job with several people who spends a significant amount of time focusing on: when they will get their next coffee, who will go, who is paying, what to get, and on and on.  I see what I would assume to be around an eighty dollars being distributed to the three surrounding coffee shops everyday.

I've been an employee of U.S. Bank for about fourteen months now.  I have worked full-time at two branches and have filled in at a couple others.  I have seen many people come in seeking help with their account.  the customers come to me with hope and anticipation I can solve all of their problems.  Personally this past December was the most frustrating month yet.  I wold be down right shocked when customers would come to my desk, an espresso in one hand, and a printout of their recent transactions, a teller had given them, in the other.  I listen patiently as they proceed to tell me one story after another about how they can't afford these overdraft fees and would continue to include remarks such as, "thanks to you my child won't get a Christmas," or "what, did you not expect me to feed my child?"  I would respond by sitting at my desk keeping a permanent smile on my face , just like I was trained.  I would bite my tongue from saying, "well if you don't have any money to feed your kids why on earth do you have that espresso drink?"  Then I look at the printout and see where all their money went, straight to the busy tills of the twenty-five coffee shops between the Cannon Beach junction and the east side of Astoria.

I'm guilty of being hypercritical to the practice.  I do enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning, brewed for approximately fifty cents, in my own kitchen.  I know my boundaries with money and learned to consider specialty coffee drinks as treats rather than a routine.  I focus on the savings I could accrue by not wasting my money on overpriced coffee and similar products I don't necessarily need.  I remind myself of a scenario that happened a couple weeks ago.  I got my hair cut and ran across the street to the Astoria Coffee House.  I had my dad with me, I offered to buy him a coffee, and then a text came in from my mom with her orders.  Suddenly I'm up to three coffees, but wait here comes my best friend.  Of course she doesn't turn down the opportunity.  Before I know it I've spent nearly $20.00 with a tip.  I could have used that money for nearly three weeks of gas.  While researching and expressing my opinion with others I get the impression I come off as "tight" with my money.  I like to break down the facts to be sure I'm making wise choices to live the best life I can.  I won't fall the materialistic latte growing trend nor will I put a significant part of my paycheck toward indulging in an outrageous priced up of java.  I'm anxious to see what the future holds for those addicted to coffee while battling this tough economy.




5 comments:

  1. Good paper. I like the description of the douchey bank customers giving you a hard time because they can't manage their money. I realize this wasn't the main point of your paper, but it made me smile. I am absoultely guilty of drinking coffee shop coffee all the time. Although i don't think it figures into my social self worth at all, I do agree that there are times in which I have the urge to go get a coffee, such as every morning before I go to work. It's an addiction like many others, only not so horrible as some. Your use of numbers was good: it really lays it out there for everyone to see, that is, the actual amount you're spending when you look at the big picture, instead of day by day, like so many of us do. Anyways, good job, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment immediately above this one was posted by Katie. I forgot to sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your paper. I would really like to post a counter argument. (only because I have had 4 year experience as a barista/manager and know all about the economics behind the business) I like how you lay all the figures and show the difference how much a dollar can make. I think that some of the people from you job take it to the extreme. Too bad for them. Nicely written!! =0) Adina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good latte but never thought of it as a status symbol. This topic opened my eyes. I have a friend that buys a latte every day and makes no appologies for the money she spends because it is something she enjoys. I, however, could not spend over $3.00 a day for a coffee. I wonder if people who do realize just how much they are spending over a long period of time? They should read your paper. Good job. Cristine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I myself have fallen victim to poshe advertisement and image. i know that if I were going to buy a coffee I would probably be more inclined to go to Starbucks for a few reasons. One being that I know that if your coffee isn't made right at Starbucks they will make a new one, no questions asked. They pride themselves on good service (at least that is the idea, not every store follows suite) Elisa

    ReplyDelete