Saturday, January 24, 2009

Educating Myself: Reasons Why I’m Worth It by Cristine

My husband and I were never in a financial position to save for our children’s education. It was a burden that grew heavier the closer they came to finishing high school. However, when my father passed away suddenly two years ago, he provided for our children’s futures what we could not. When the time came to send our daughter off to college we enrolled her, bought her books, paper and pencils, and she was off. Three terms later, after four failed classes, she proclaimed college wasn’t for her. We were shocked and didn’t understand because we had been talking about how important college was since her first day of kindergarten. I, too, had blown off my opportunity for college when I was her age, but I had also come to regret that decision. I am constantly reminded that without a college education I cannot move from administrative support into the higher paying professional areas of the companies that have employed me. Since our daughter does not want the opportunity to go to college, I decided to use my father’s money to complete my own education because a college education is important to me. Hence, I’m the better investment, moreover, with a college degree I can offer her another opportunity later.


Although I’ve struggled with the decision, using my father’s money for my own education just makes sense. I have a desire and passion for education that my daughter does not possess. I want to sit in class and take notes, even if it’s boring. I want to write paper after paper on topics that I don’t really understand. I want to stay up late reading chapter after assigned chapter until my eyes hurt. I want it. She does not. So why do I agonize about allowing myself this opportunity?


Although I always thought of it as my daughter’s college money, the truth of the matter is that the money came to me from my father’s estate. My husband and I did the responsible thing and set sufficient money aside to provide for both of our children’s education. It is disappointing that our daughter turned it down, and I would give up all of my dreams to ensure a bright future for her, but it is out of my hands now. I’ve earned the right to pursue my dreams of an education and career in a writing-related profession.


My primary goal is to complete my college education, which makes me the better investment. I’m more reliable and I have a proven track record for being able to follow through when I commit to a class. I’ve been taking night classes on a regular basis for many years and have a GPA of 3.44.


Statistics show that a person with a college degree has a greater earning potential than one without. As I progress through each degree level my ability to provide another opportunity for education for our daughter will also increase. I may not be able to pay for her education 100%, but I will be able to lessen the financial burden on her later.


Some may argue that I’m being selfish, that I should leave the money alone until she decides what to do with her life. How many of us knew exactly what we wanted to do right out of high school. What if she decides next year that she wants to return to school? We will just have to address that possible if it comes. I cannot put my life on hold while she figures out what to do with hers.


Another important consideration in this decision is that I cannot work full-time and go to school full-time. I will have to quit my job or work part-time in order to commit to school full-time. I have a good government job with good benefits, and I have a family to support. Quitting or working part-time would affect my health and life insurance and my pension enormously. On the other hand, my husband has health insurance available, albeit at a much higher rate than I pay, and we have other retirement investments in place. Let’s not forget that my increased earning potential (after my degree) means the ability to pay for insurance and to make larger contributions to our retirement in the future.

All things considered, I will use the money set aside for our daughter’s college education to pursue my own educational goals. I have a passion for education proven by my continued attendance at night school for many years. I am more reliable as evident by my GPA. I am the better investment knowing what I want and possessing the desire to achieve it. It is a gift to be able to pursue my dreams and my family will be better off no matter what the outcome because I will be better able to provide for them.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think that it is selfish of you to use the money for your own education. You are obviously very adamant about the whole thing. If I remember correctly, your daughter is pretty young, (like 20 or so?) and she'll probably change her mind soon enough. When she does decide what she wants to do, if it includes going to school, it's not as if that will be impossible because you've used the money allotted. There are lots of different means of getting financing for college, after all. I think you have a good, steady voice (of reason) throughout your paper, and good job on tackling an arguement that obviously means something to you. That can be tricky. -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista thinks good that you used that money for yourself. It is obvious to anyone to read this paper sees your passion for education and could benefit more from the investment rather than your daughter. I like how you organized the pros and cons with saving the money for something you hope for or using it for something you want. I also like how you outlined the consequences of both choices, like how you mentioned your retirement and such. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista,
    I believe that you have every right to educate yourself. The fact that your daughter not only soiled her chance but to me that was also very disrespectful. I think that since you are the person supporting the household you have the right to further your education which will in turn better your family as a whole. Great job on your choice. I wish you the best of luck!
    Adina

    ReplyDelete