Sunday, January 25, 2009

Katie Allen
Ms. Cook
Writing 122
20 January 2009
Hiking Alone: Is it a Bad Idea?
Cougars are, by definition, large and powerful tawny brown cats, sometimes also called mountain lions. The term also refers to lascivious middle aged women out on the prowl for boy toys, but we’ll return to that later. For now, I’d like to discuss the wonderful pastime of hiking, and how potential threats, including malevolent people, bad weather conditions, getting lost, and yes, cougars, might strike fear in the hearts of young women such as myself. Such specters are even more frightening when considering the plight of a hiker alone. But I believe, and hope to convince you that although hiking alone may not be a good idea for everyone, making informed decisions and adhering to safe and sensible guidelines particular to your hike will greatly increase your chances of a successful hike.
I am by no means antisocial. However, by my own choosing or not, it seems that most of the ventures I undertake are solo hikes. I find hiking alone to be more satisfying. I don’t have to worry about keeping pace with a less avid pal, or about holding back a more seasoned mountaineer. I can venture onto as many tangent paths as I like, and choose my starting point and destination with no argument. If I set out with an attitude of common sense and an understanding of my surroundings, I believe that this solo mode of hiking is alright for me. I think that the unlikely specters mentioned previously are no reason to quell my desire to explore the great outdoors.
That being said, let’s get down to specifics. There are a number of precautions one should take when on a hike, alone or not. Some of these may seem obvious to you, reader, but I think it best to outline them anyway, since common sense is not always as common as it might be.
First, there are things you should do before you even set off. Know your area. Consult a map if needed. Have a set point of destination. Keep someone whom you trust informed of your whereabouts, including letting them know when you’re expected at your set destination. Do not attempt a hike if you are seriously ill, or have any broken bones. This is not going to be good when you fall down. A self defense class couldn’t hurt. In fact, I’m sure it’d do a body good, all told. If you’re comfortable with guns, by all means, show up packin’! I’ve spoken with many people who cite the uselessness of something like jiu jitsu in the face of a firearm, so I suppose that getting comfortable and familiar with a gun in the interest of self defense is a wise idea, albeit not one to take lightly.
Here’s another good idea: Get a dog! Aside from being dopily adorable, dogs are fiercely loyal, and quick to defend their owners against the Johnny Q. Rapists of the world. An added bonus: Who wouldn’t want to see man’s best friend take down a cougar? Can you say “Awesome?”
As for supplies, carrying a flashlight has always been a must for me. A fire source is a good thing to have as well. Cell phones are smart, although they may be out of range on some trails. Food and water- both excellent choices. Some sort of first aid kit is a good idea, too. Once you are on your hike, no matter how crystal clear and tempting it may be, do not drink water from an unfamiliar source, and no matter how ripe and robust looking those berries are, please don’t eat them.
Picture a single hiker who has made ample preparations for her day hike over Tillamook Head. She’s researched a map, packed a lunch, has plenty of water, and a Leatherman. She’s got a lighter and matches, a flashlight, she’s dressed appropriately and has informed friends as to her whereabouts. Perhaps most importantly, she’s hiked this trail many times.
Now picture two female hikers from out of town (let’s call them Cordelia and Myrtle) setting out on this same hike. They’re in their shorts and t-shirts, and have a mountain dew and a sixer of Heineken. They don’t know the area. This is just whimsy for them. When Cordelia falls down and sprains her ankle, how is Myrtle, in her buzzed and frantic state, going to call anyone for help? They don’t have cell phones. I guess they’ll have to wait for that nice single lady with all the great hiking gear to come along.
Of course, these are silly, hypothetical situations, at least the one involving Cordelia and Myrtle. When prepared and knowledgeable like my first hiker, two heads are better than one. There are certain ventures that would be just plain stupid to attempt alone. I would never climb Mt. Hood alone, or even with a group. Three men froze to death up there in 2006, so give me an actual climbing expedition team on that one, and let’s do it in high summer. I don’t have a death wish. Any night hike requires a partner, particularly one with whom you can share a sleeping bag. Always consider location. Clatsop County has a sparse population whose main degenerate interests are drugs and alcohol, not violent crime. If I were hiking in a metropolis, I’d feel a lot better stumbling upon a malevolent hobo with a friend at my side.
Some will argue that even after having taken the greatest of care in these ventures, it’s still not completely safe to hike alone. These people are absolutely right. Several hiking websites even site this as their number one rule. Safety in numbers is a very sound concept, and one which I am not wholly trying to refute.
What I am saying is that nothing is a total guarantee of safety. I do not delude myself into thinking I’m not taking a risk when I hike alone. I suppose what I’m trying to do here is explore when and where it might be more acceptable to do so, and highlight some precautions one might take when out on a trail, alone or in a group. Whatever situation you find yourself in, be as prepared as possible, look before you leap, and don’t be overconfident. I think that hiking has been a good medium for discussing these things.
Reader, if I haven’t convinced you of my woodsy savvy, I hope I’ve at least provided you with an adequate explanation as to why I feel safe enough to hike solo in certain circumstances. I hope you find me informed and cautious enough that my risk for peril is somewhat lessened. After all, looking back at that sexy cougar from page one, I know I’d like to keep myself alive long enough to someday be one. Wouldn’t you?

4 comments:

  1. Whoops, I made this look like crap. Sorry, it's not exactly formatted right. I can't believe it actually posted. So please excuse the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie your paper is totally entertaining. It was a pleasure to hear and read again. I think you did an excellent job with drawing the audience in and keeping us in. Also I enjoyed the examples, other than witty the examples are believable and realistic. You incorporated some good strategies in so non experienced hikers like myself. :)---Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that any adventure is risky. If you take the right precautions you can be better off. I actually have a friend who works in the forest and the thing that is brought up in every conversation would have to be bears. It is actually a runny joke in my family. I liked your arguments and your paper really held my attention. I like a good funny read. =0) Adina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being anywhere secluded and alone is never really a good idea. It might seem exciting and empowering, but if you were to get hurt there would be nobody around to help or possibly even save your life! I also really like your definitions of cougar! haha -elisa

    ReplyDelete