Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama Mama


I'm the teacher of this wonderful CC night class. Their writing gives me hope! And, yes, I'm high on Obama, which, for today anyways, affects my mood about as much as my delightful and opinionated toddler Izi. Yes, frequent waking in the night is part of my mental profile. If you read carefully, you can find me named by name; however, for now, following my president's leave, I'm going to leave my name mostly out. There's nothing I would like better than for my students to change my mind. I'm open to persuasion, attracted to good storytelling, and a stickler for great titles and introductions. I'm also a retired essayist myself (with an MFA in Creative Nonfiction) from a few years back, which, now seems like a lifetime away. Now I teach. Now I parent. Now I make ends meet, as a single Mom with a mortgage a little too big for one income and childcare expenses. I suppose I'm a poster child for many Americans minus my fabulous healthcare. I got a chiropractic massage this morning (lucky me), and I sure hope that doesn't go away in the national costcutting fiesta to come.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about beautiful Izi and how much she is growing! I'm a little jealous myself as I have no children. You are an awesome teacher and I am sad that I will not be seeing you in class next term, I am taking a slight writing vacation. Hope everything is good for you, and I know I'm a little slow getting on here, but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete